(1)
as hungry as a bear
如同字面意思,如同熊一般的餓
I didn't eat all day, so I was as hungry as a bear.
(2)
a drop in the bucket=a drop in the ocean
桶子裡的一小滴,意思就是微不足道;沒啥影響力
That is just a drop in the bucket (which is) compared to what we need.
比起我們所需要的,那只是九牛一毛、微不足道。
(3)
a fate worse than death
比死更慘了的糟糕或不愉快經驗
簡單說就是慘之又慘
Going to work for you again would be a fate worse than death because you were so mean to me the first time I worked for you.
再度為你工作真是悲慘,因為第一次為你工作時,你對我很壞
(4)
a little bird told me
小鳥引申消息的來源,用來說"有人告訴我"、"我聽說...",不想明說消息來源是誰的時候可以用
A little bird told me that Jimmy had a car accident in town this morning.
(5)
a penny for your thoughts =What are you thinking about?
用一分$買你的想法,意思是想知道你在想什麼
Jill looked really sad, so I said "Oh! Honey. A penny for your thoughts." 妳在想什麼呢?
(6)
a shot in the dark
1.亂槍打鳥 2.胡亂猜測 3.不太可能成功的嘗試
It was a shot in the dark, but I thought we could land that big account.
雖然是胡亂嘗試,但我覺得可以釣到大魚撈到那位大客戶
(7)
against the grain
農作物原需依照一定時序來栽種及收成
這裡是指不依照一般的程序、反其道而行、反向操作的意思
Everyone wore red to school on Valentine's Day, but I went against the grain and wore blue.
(8)
all over the place 到處
We went to the department store to find a present for Linda's wedding, and we went all over the place trying to pick the perfect gift.
留言列表